Brown Brothers Engineers was established in 1908 in New Zealand by Alfred and Phillip Brown. In the early years, the company specialised in electrical engineering and diversified into pumps after 1915.
In 1935 Brown Brothers moved into pump manufacture for farm, industrial and household use. In the post war decades Brown Brothers grew and thrived becoming the New Zealand distributor for many of the worlds leading pump manufacturers.
In 1980 Brown Brothers became a member of the Mace Group of Companies.
In late 1994 Brown Brothers established an office in Sydney and two years later opened an office in Melbourne. In April 2007 a Brisbane branch was opened.
In May 2004, Brown Brothers acquired Kelair Pumps Australia Pty Ltd, headquartered in Sydney and in March 2005 acquired Rob Laine Pumping Solutions Pty Ltd in Melbourne.
In 2007, Brown Brothers acquired Lowara Pumps Queensland.